Gary S. Rosenthal
Mobil 301-437-0351, Office 301-840-4460, Fax 301-840-4461 | Gary@O-ZoneInc.com
15517 Peach Leaf Lane, North Potomac, MD 20878
Marketing Executive | Project Management
More than 25 years of marketing and project management experience has made me an expert in the integration of traditional media with emerging computer-based technologies. As a media producer & communications strategist my clients have ranged from entertainment, education, legal, medical, and biotechnology to Federal and military. I taught for over a decade at George Washington University and have been a featured speaker at many industry events. I have received numerous awards and honors and became a member of MENSA back when I was young and thought I knew it all. Now I know better...
I have created media in the venues of audio, video, print, web, display, interactive and event, pioneering what is emerging now as transmedia storytelling. My background as a television show and on-air promotions producer for Viacom helped honed my skills in developing targeted content. My technical skills and security clearance have led to work as a consultant, trainer and project manager for Army Television, Army Corps of Engineers, Department of Defense (DOD), Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Sales & Marketing Strategy
- Marketing Metrics & Analytics
- Consulting / Client Relations
- Design / Creative Concepts
O-Zone, Inc., Gaithersburg, Maryland 1986-Present
President & Chief Executive Officer
O-Zone offers services from script to screen, or to augment a clients’ capabilities by contributing specialists to their in-house team, and assembled and managed groups ranging from five people to more than 5,000. I have a track record of building and maintaining productive relationships with both corporations and individuals, with a proven ability to multitask and respond to high volume and high pressure requests in a timely fashion.
- Developed kiosk systems for businesses, museums and Federal agency use, including the Smithsonian, the Pentagon, NIH and AT&T.
- Developed AOL streaming video web strategy and oversaw population of all initial content.
- Worked with Discovery Communications to create an online system for reviewing and requesting media for production content.
- Worked with AVID, Pentagon, DOD, Senate and the Department of Homeland Security to create a proprietary systems for editing, transmitting, viewing and tracking of video content.
- Performed crisis management consulting to the Federal government following the 9/11 terrorism attacks, helping to establish policy for handling media issues.
- Developed K-12 curriculum and childhood cancer education products under NIH and NIMH grants with ADA section 508 compliance.
- Agency of record for BioMedic Corporation for 18 years, helping them grow from $8 million dollars a year in revenue to over $40 million.
Aqua-Pharm, Gaithersburg, Maryland 2010-Present
Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer
- After two decades of marketing and consulting in the animal research industry, I took on the unique challenge of creating new markets for excess fish feed inventory created by mandatory production minimums. After initial success B2B marketing to the BioMedical research community and landing key accounts including the National Institutes of Health, Maryland Department of Natural Resources, and The Smithsonian Institutes National Zoo/National Aquarium, I expanded into B2C verticals. I branded existing products under the name Aqua-Pharm and started a grass roots marketing program targeted at aquaria hobbyist and ornamental fish breeders. Through event based marketing, club and association support and direct internet sales, Aqua-Pharm.com quickly built a loyal following. Study of this niche market’s metrics and purchasing traffic allowed me to target other product verticals and diversify further by bringing medications, live animals and other research grade products to the consumer. In 2014, I focused on reaching a higher economy of scale in production and lowering costs in packaging and fulfillment while establishing a national distribution network offering Aqua-Pharm products to over 700 brick and mortar fish and pet shops. To date, total quantities of food distribution are up 600%, gross revenue is up over 500% and net profitability is up over 300%.
Art4Fish, Harpers Ferry, West Virginia 2011-Present
Chief Marketing Officer
- When long-time client, the Living Gallery, had their web page and traffic literally “Shanghaied” by a web portal company in Hong Kong, I was brought in as there first CMO. To stop the damage I rebranded them with a new name and portal called Art4Fish.com. After the initial modernizing, their online image and increased traffic with SEO and Social Media programs, I started them on a series of growth through trade shows and event marketing. By 2013, their sales had more than doubled reaching the limits of what they could produce in-house by hand. Since they would not consider mass production as a solution I moved them into a program of representing work form other artist and carrying associated products for display and maintenance. Heading into 2016 Art4Fish is proud to show a 400% growth in gross revenue and a 250% increase in profitability since my tenure began.
Speaker, Lecture, Consultant, Expert Witness 1988-Present
Providing services to individuals, organizations and Federal agencies and attorneys involving litigation. Key clients and projects have included the following:
- 1988 – 1998: Speaker/Lobbyist on licensing and copyright issues for digital media legislation.
- 1989 - 2007: College level lecturers on media production and interactive technologies.
- 1993 - 1996 College level lecturers on using database technology for a research-tracking and combining computer, and video technology as a research tool.
- 1998 - 1999: Development of curriculum for training physicians to use the Internet as a research tool for the American Academy of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology.
- 1999 to 2006: Board Member for the Education committee of the Montgomery County Chamber Workforce Corporation.
- 2001 - 2005: Technical video consultant to FEMA & The US Department of State.
- 2009: Panel speaker at Joint Civilian Orientation Conference on civilian media coverage of Military situations.
George Washington University, Washington, District of Columbia 1994-2003
- Developed and taught graduate level and continuing education courses in digital audio, nonlinear video editing, web, CD-ROM and DVD authoring as well as production management. Instruction, lecture series and labs included programs for the center for professional development as well as specialized programs for government agencies and foreign government agencies.
Compression Works, Bethesda, Maryland 1998-2001
President & Chief Marketing Officer
Compression Works was a service bureau dedicated to the highest quality conversion and delivery of analogue audio and video materials for distribution as digital media. Roles included developing marketing programs, sales channels, collateral, and services contracts as well as working with industry leaders in software development in the research and development of Codec (compression/decompression) algorithms. Clients included The Holocaust Museum, AOL, DOD, FEMA and many others, including developing the Pentagons AVID Program for the secure use of AVID video editing systems. This company was sold to Vital Stream in 2000 and is now part of Kodak.
- Developed open source and proprietary delivery software for internet-based streaming.
- Developed custom Metadata tag system to allow tracking of viral content.
- Roles included working with industry leaders in software development in the research and development of Fractal Codec (compression/decompression) algorithms.
Image Communications, Tysons Corner, Virginia 1992-1994
Vice President Video Production Services
- Responsible for overseeing all areas of strategy and production of audio, video, animation, computer graphics, and multi-media, including P&L responsibility for budgeting, staff and freelance management. Helped guide the purchase of the company by iXL and the integration of my department to the new parent corporation.
Viacom, New York, New York 1988-1992
Producer & Editor
- Responsible for overseeing a diverse range of productions, especial budgeting and overseeing large scale broadcast promotion packages. These included short form promo packages for Nickelodeon and long form artist interview/biography pieces for MTV and VH1. I also developed PSA campaigns including "World Alert" a rebranding of Green Peace through a collaboration with VH1 and celebrity personalities, and the 1992 Peabody award winning “Chose or Lose” campaign for MTV networks.
BFA, Radio and Television Production with a minor in Music, 1990, Ithaca College
Awards and Honors
1988 Collegiate Academy of Arts and Sciences Citation of Excellence for Experimental Video Production. Production "The Anti-Video" --- Role Producer/Director
1989 Collegiate Academy of Arts and Sciences Citation of Excellence for Experimental Video Production. Production "The Computer Analyst" --- Role Producer/Director
1989 Peabody: Client, MTV Networks Show “Decade” Role Segment Editor
1992 Peabody: Client, MTV Networks Project “Choose or Lose.” (PSA Campaign) Role Online Editor
1996 INDIA CATALINA CARTAGENA film festival award for best documentary, Client World Bank Production “With Hope and Dignity” Role On-Line Edit and Animation/Graphics
1998 Superior Civilian Service: Department of the Army
2002 Distinguished Civilian Service: Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
2002 Civilian Support Global War on Terrorism: Department of Defense
2005 APEX Award --- Client The Degge Group/LeapFrog Solutions --- Project “Conquering Cancer Network” Role Audio and Video Producer/Director
2005 Superior Civilian Service Defense Logistic Agency
2007 Telly Award: Client Network Productions Production “The State Theatre” Role On-Line Edit and Music Score
2008 CLIO : Client BBDO/AT&T Project “Bouquet” Role Web/Kiosk Distribution
I am a Parent and Assistant Scout Master volunteer for the Boy Scouts of America.
I enjoy working with animal rescue and have volunteered for the Montgomery County Human Society, the Cocker Spaniel Adoption Center, and wild life rescue with Maryland DNR.
I like to mentor and work with aspiring entrepreneurs and have volunteered as the technology chair for the Montgomery County Chamber Workforce Corporation board or advisors.